The August launch of the new ClassJuggler Customer Portal was exciting and has been well-received by our clients. The feedback from them has been overwhelmingly positive. Here are a few tidbits:
- “The mobile [friendly] version totally works for our customers!”
- “The new look is clean and so easy to navigate!”
- “Far fewer parents are getting confused than with the old system. Great job, we love it!”
- “The new registration wizard makes it a lot easier for our parents to zip through registration!”
To current ClassJuggler clients using our legacy customer self-service center:
We encourage current users of the Customer Self-Service Center (which is replaced by the Customer Portal) to begin the migration as soon as possible. As of this day, 30% of ClassJuggler clients have already migrated to the new Customer Portal. But that leaves 70% that still have yet to migrate.
The deadline for all clients to migrate to the new portal is December 15th, 2017. Make sure to migrate soon.
The process is easy, and not time-consuming. And the benefit to your customers is well worth it!
Here’s how to learn more about the Customer Portal and migrating to the new version:
- To see the new Customer Portal in action, from a customer’s perspective, check out this thorough tutorial video.
- Review the Customer Portal Step-by-Step Migration Guide.
- Current clients: Log in to read the migration introductory article on your ClassJuggler Home Base screen.
Need a little extra help after reviewing the migration guide, or have questions? Give us a call and we can answer your questions.